Friday, March 27, 2009

Depeche Mode

the new album is out there. In 1981 the band was ultra poppy, then their major songwriter left. As the albums came out serious subject started to be dealt with in poppy poppy tunes, state of the world (Construction time Again the whole album), undeserving trust in god (Blasphemous Rumours), lack of the press taking life seriously (New Dress) etc etc. I can't even start to consider how long I have been listening to these guys, they have dealt with loss of members such as would cripple other bands. they have also dealt with serious drug addiction from Dave Gahan. The new album may take some time to attach itself to the gut the way the other albums have but this is a band still breathing, still functioning still being relevant. Reminds me I must go back and indulge in the early music............

1 comment:

MikeB said...

Check out the footage from The Tube on youtube for 'Tora, Tora, Tora'. My fave DM performance. Good mate of mine is a guitar tech for them and always sorts me out with pucker seats but they are playing up here the weekend I'm out of town - natch:-(