Sunday, October 05, 2008

October Madness

Midway through a very intense October burst of shows. But then November and December are looking bleak so you have to do what you have to do.
Glasvegas canceled at Great Scott on Monday due to visa issues, me being me I started a myspace conversation which ended up with a guest list offer for Saturday in New york mercury lounge (sold out show) which we took them up on - Nice one boys!
Tuesday was Amy Macdonald, chosen because I wanted to figure her out. Pleasant and interesting Amy doesn't have the strongest voice (yes I am spoiled by women like Annie Lennox, Horse Macdonald (look it up and weep you hadn't heard of her before) and of course the wondrous Leila from Duke Spirit.). But when you throw in a cheap ticket price and the wonderful Great Scott (I LOVE this venue) it was a nice night.

Wednesday brought Evangelicals plus The Parenthetical Girls and Matt Mays who I had never heard of. Empty for PG but what a wonderful show they put on pure cabaret but lovable. Third time seeing Evangelicals, full of technical issues but there is something gut which I love about this band that I could never describe but only urge you to go with an open mind and fall in love.
Thursday and Friday was the Baltimore Round Robin experience, not our thing but had to go to experience, liked eyes night MUCH more than feet night but very glad to support music that is off kilter and different.
Saturday we drove down to New York sweating that we would actually be on the guest list. YES we were and sat for ages while the NY scenesters and drunkards decided to deign to come to the sold out show. Wild Light supported and were well, wild light, oh well. angela mcclusky was a secondary support and while fun I have heard better female scottish vocals - see above.
Glasvegas, now let me get hit by criticism, I think they need to gig some more and figure out how to put over their material. Of course the scenester crowd did kill any buzz. loved it anyway.
Would I have missed it- NO WAY!
Just about to go see Locksley tonight and Wedding Present tomorrow then Wire Wednesday and Delta Spirit friday oh well tons to do.......
As I said November sucks!

No comments: